From CCP4 wiki
Jump to navigation
Jump to search
Newer edit →
Crystal growth: Tips and Tricks
Revision as of 16:05, 14 February 2008
1,680 bytes added
16:05, 14 February 2008
New page: == I tried Hampton Screen I & II with my protein and have no crystals. What can I do? == 1. There are other screens. While it is proably true that when proteins do crystalize, they in ...
== I tried Hampton Screen I & II with my protein and have no crystals. What can I do? ==
1. There are other screens. While it is proably true that when proteins do crystalize, they in many cases produce hits from Hampton screens I or II, we are dealing here with exception to that rule. Lists of screens are available from manufacturer websites:
- [http://www.hamptonresearch.com/ Hampton Research]
- [http://www1.qiagen.com/Products/Protein/Crystallization/ScreeningSuitesInPreFilledFormats/NeXtalTubes.aspx Qiagen (Nextal)]
- [http://www.emeraldbiosystems.com Emerald Biosystems]
- [http://www.jenabioscience.com/cms/en/1/browse/632_screens.html Jena Bioscience]
2. Vary protein concentration. This is rather obvious suggestion when all your drops are clear or all have precipitate, in which case your overall concentration is too low (too high). More elaborate approach is to modify concentrations based on the results of your first screen, i.e. double it for the conditions which produced clear drops and cut it in half for those which produced precipiate. To avoid concentrating/diluting protein, you can simply try to mix your original protein stock with reservoir solutions in different proportions. For instance, mixing 2ul of protein with 1ul of reservoir solution is (to some degree) equivalent of doubling protein concentration.
3. Set your screens at different temperature. 25 and 4 degrees are the most popular options. If you completely lost hope for your original screens, just transfer them to the cold room. Protein solubility will change and you may get crystals.
4. Modify your protein. See [[Modifying_the_protein_to_crystallize_better]]
Retrieved from "
In other languages
Not logged in
FAQ and Links
About CCP4 wiki