From CCP4 wiki
Jump to navigation
Jump to search
Revision as of 11:53, 1 August 2008
824 bytes added
11:53, 1 August 2008
New page: == Nomenclature == The crystal sits in the loop, the loop atop a pin, which is attached, usually with superglue, to a base (most frequently magnetic). Hampton calls the whole assembly Cry...
== Nomenclature ==
The crystal sits in the loop, the loop atop a pin, which is attached, usually with superglue, to a base (most frequently magnetic). Hampton calls the whole assembly CrystalCap. Caps protected by a vial can be stored in liquid nitrogen.
== Potential problems after mounting the cap onto the goniometer head ==
* ice crystals at the bottom of the base - These will slowly thaw and move the loop away from the cryostream ==> use only dry caps for freezing crystals
* loose pins in the base => superglue pin into base and let set before freezing
* magnets too weak (base too heavy)
* magnet too strong, leading to whiplash effect and catapulting the crystal from the loop (when freezing crystals directly on the beamline, not when mounting prefrozen crystals)
* incorrectly fastened goniometer, magnet etc.
Retrieved from "
In other languages
Not logged in
FAQ and Links
About CCP4 wiki