Soaking with heavy atoms
- Bart Hazes' collection of properties of heavy metals - if unavailable try here
- "Towards a rational approach for heavy-atom derivative screening in protein crystallography" by Agniswamy et al, Acta Cryst D 64, 354
- Michael Sawaya's Preparing a Useful Derivative
- Artem Evdokimov's Iodination of protein crystals for fun and profit
- Sugahara et al's Heavy-atom Database System (HATODAS) - a WWW-based tool designed to assist the heavy-atom derivatization of proteins.
- http://www.sbg.bio.ic.ac.uk/had/ - good table of HA and pH ranges
- http://sis.niaid.nih.gov/cgi-bin/heavyatom_reactivity.cgi - Heavy Atom Reactivity Table (original paper)
Links to a variety of HA databases: http://www.shapirolab.org/lab-links/had.html
References: Lott JS et al. (2003) Acta Cryst D Biol Crystallogr, Dec (Pt 12): 2242-6. Making the most of two crystals: structural analysis of a conserved hypothetical protein using native gel screening and SAD phasing.